Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Meteor Campout



I was excited to have a campout with Sara on the back patio to observe the meteor shower.  Now that I have the little bench out there my camping horizons have broadened considerably.  I put a big sheepskin on the bench, got my pillows and blankets arranged and Sara put her bed on the ground next to me and we were ready to view the shooting stars!

Meanwhile Sara was excited to try out a new type of "camp fire" that only required a tin can, 70% rubbing alcohol and a roll of toilet paper.  Everything was looking good, except for the fact that she had only 50% rubbing alcohol which she soaked the toilet paper roll with.  Not much happened with that so she hunted up another container with 95% alcohol "COMPOUND" written in the container.


I wish I had a video of the excitement that was created when she poured some of THAT onto the can.  The fire leapt onto the ground in a puddle and burned with blue fury, it also leapt back into the bottle she was holding creating a bit of a conundrum for her and it went wild on the tin can bursting the non existent fire into a temporary small inferno.

No pictures are available of that little misadventure but thankfully the fire did not leap onto me as I was laying on the bench not far from it.  It finally settled down and we loved watching the smooth elegant flames that burn with an alcohol fire.


As far as the meteor shower, I saw one spectacular shooting star early on and then the clouds began to roll in.  I loved laying outside listening to the crickets and watching the dark night sky.  The puppies curled up on Sara's bed with her and all was well.  Sara and I slept fitfully as we listened to a story and by 2AM we realized that the entire sky was covered in clouds so we both headed into the house for the remainder of the night.



 And that's the story of the Meteor Campout which was eclipsed by the tin can fire escapade.


No comments: