Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Importance of Swallowing Properly


I have a problem.
Last night I was distracted as I took a couple of supplements before bedtime.
I've become much more careful about swallowing pills since I have had issues with them getting stuck in what appears to be an esophageal diverticulum.  
Or in other words a little pocket inside my throat that likes to hold onto food or liquid and has the unfortunate side effect of causing me to aspirate in the night.  

But last night?
I was distracted because I had bumped my elbow and was hurriedly trying to get ice onto it and therefore I threw the magnesium caplet into my mouth without practising due diligence.  (Best to drink water before and very carefully swallow with plenty of more water)
Anyways, I felt the little sucker lodge in my throat and I was duly horrified.
Haven't done this for a couple of years now.

I went to lay down, knowing that somehow this always resolves itself in time. 
Usually in two or three hours the pills shift and slide down where they belong.
But not this time.
This little guy has found himself a new home, but I am bound and determined to get him out as it hurts EVERY TIME I SWALLOW - even just my saliva.
Kind of like having a rock caught in my throat. 

The convenient and surprising thing about this whole story is that I happen to have a gastroscopyy booked for tomorrow morning.  They weren't able to get me in early (I even pulled the paralysis card to try to speed things up) so I just went to work and kept busy today, making sure not to eat so as to prevent any choking episodes.  Thankfully I have been able to drink.

I am praying that tomorrow morning this little pill will be history and I will no longer have this pressure in my throat and chest.  And I am hoping that they will be able to operate to make the pocket disappear.  

I am also praying that I will sleep tonight.  
So in faith I will say,
Goodnight. 


No comments: