Saturday, May 16, 2015

Hillbilly Toilet


My sweet niece Amy is getting married this weekend!
Patrice and I packed up and drove down here to Salmon Arm yesterday to take part in this special event. Super beautiful drive, breathtaking views as we wound our way through the valley and along the lakes.


We are staying in a "cabin" which is the most spacious, beautiful home overlooking Shuswap Lake and the lovely green mountains.  My bedroom is huge, with big picture windows.


Everything is amazingly spacious and huge - except the bathroom, unfortunately.

Ahh, the story of my life.

It's impossible to explain accurately the gymnastics and energy required for me to use a bathroom that is not properly set up for me.
Plus it's dangerous when I have to twist my arms and shoulders and wrists and risk falling onto the floor if I lose my balance.
All around a rather precarious procedure.

This bathroom is particularly bad and I despaired as I was not even able to get up off the seat by myself.  And Patrice has been having trouble with her back so I certainly don't want to be the cause of further pain or damage.
As a result I planned to drive home in the morning and perhaps return on Sunday for the wedding.
But, in any event I still needed to use the bathroom before leaving.

It was a bit of a fiasco to say the least and in the ensuing kafuffle, as Patrice tried to help me, she tore the towel bar right off the wall!  Thankfully I didn't land on the floor, but I did make an unfortunate heavy landing on the wheel of my chair which I am hoping will not result in a pressure sore.

But Vic began scheming and had a plan. The next morning he got started.


He started out by reattaching the towel bar. Then he got to work with his measuring tape to figure out what I would need and put together a contraption to raise the height of the toilet to something I could use.
A bonafide hillbilly toilet seat put together with screws and duct tape.
And lots of love.
Seriously amazing.


And it works!!
My brother is my hero.
Endlessly cheerful, loving to solve problems and help people.
He just makes me so very happy   
So, needless to stay I am still here!  Enjoying the view and the visits with people as they come hang with us in our palatial cabin.


Patrice treated Vic and the bride-to-be to a Mojito to calm their nerves.

***********************

Everyone enjoyed themselves on this sun drenched day at the beach. Kayaks, paddle boards and canoes were employed and there was lots of jumping off the dock.  This was as close as I could get to the beach without going down a really steep pathway and having someone push me back up again.


Elsie and Pupcake arrived this evening and I am now
tucked into the cozy room with her and her guitar, flute, extra bedding and many, many bags.


One of which contains the illegal squatter Pupcake.
He's not supposed to be here, but we're praying he will go unnoticed. If he can just keep his tiny little muzzle shut it will be very beneficial as we are staying right next door to the managers.


Along with Elsie has come a sweet spirit of worship and Jesus.
We have already been singing together and she has been playing her guitar and flute.
She has made so much space for God in her life.
He is the One Thing she pursues.
I am blessed beyond measure to be in this family.

Praying for a wonderful wedding day tomorrow!




No comments: