Friday, February 16, 2007

Oh GLoRiouS SunSHiNe!



Gratefulness spills from my heart as I look out over the skeleton orchard outside my office window - naked trees & the ground still covered with snow but the sun gently coaxing the last remnants of winter to melt away. I heard joyous dripping sounds as I went outside to check on Jewel with her incision and her big collar. I saw her bounding through the orchard with another dog and was amazed, knowing she had her surgery just a few days ago. Has she forgotten? Does she not know she is supposed to be taking it easy and lounging in the sunshine? Has she no pain? I called her over to the house and she galloped through the still fairly deep snow with the greatest of glee, lept up onto the porch with ease and nudged up to me with her huge collar encased face. (She gets as close as she can with that huge cone). How does one reason with a dog? Oh she is a sweet thing - with a temperament I wish was mine. How is it that God made dogs with such Godly characteristics...most dogs that is.

Meanwhile, Mr. Tumnus our cat is slumbering on top of the hot tub...his lovely huge orange halo of hair keeping him warm. The animals are rejoicing at the warmer weather as well. Everyone is out having a party! What a winter it has been! Snow that usually disappears after a few days has lingered on since the end of November! I know I ought NOT to complain though seeing as I live in one of the most temperate spots in our fair country.

And complain I will not - I am blessed beyond measure and I am having such a lovely day. For some unexplicable reason I awoke with energy and I had a great time emptying garbages cans (oh how I LOVE garbage day....) baking pumpkin loaves, making bread with my skilled breadmaker (just popped it out and it's ever so lovely & brown) and making mud pie. The chicken is also sizzling in the oven for supper. Days like this are rare in my life so I must make an actual report when they happen.

I started something fun recently due to an idea I found on another blog. The concept is to journal "One Thousand Gifts" that God has graced your life with. The blog I got this idea off of is absolutely amazing. The author will take you to Jesus in so many ways, over and over again. She has very appropriately named her blog "The Holy Experience of Listening" and can be found at www.holyexperience.blogspot.com
I encourage you to visit her there.

Anyways, back to 1000 Gifts... when I read about this on the above blog, I decided to start this list of thanksgiving as well. I already have a "Journal of Blessings" where I write about the goodness of God to me and paste meaningful articles and notes people have given me, pictures, cards etc. Now I have begun my list of 1000 Gifts and it's great fun. Just making mention of the many many many blessings God pours into my life so constantly is such a good exercise. I've even got my Sunday School girls started!! They pasted the following verses into the little blessing books I gave them and this week they're starting their lists.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"
1 Thessalonians 5:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father..." James 1:17

Jesus...my Jesus, you truly are the giver of every good & perfect gift in my life. Even the gifts I don't yet recognize, or the ones that come wrapped in packages that aren't immediately recognizable. I thank you and I want to exercise my spirit of thankfulness...in very tangible ways. Even as I derive great pleasure from the expressions of gratefulness my children show me for different things, I want to bring you great pleasure.

"May the Words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer" Psalm 19:14


1 comment:

forest maiden said...

I rejoice with you for a good day in what seems to be the simple pleasures of life! When the big things in life are taken and we have nothing left but the skeleton of what was, we wait in quite expectation( well not always so quite..there is sometimes impatient pleas and cries of frustation) As we wait and watch we notice those amazing miracles that come with spring thaw-each drip of melting snow marks the passing of winter like the tic of a clock marks time, one second at a time.We never can get that second back, for it is behind us.I love to see how our furry friends seem to get this concept so well.
We can learn so much in the ordinary moments!