Monday, February 19, 2007

Grace to LOVE HIM MORE...


I've been challenged this year in realizing the Lent season is almost upon us...even though I've never given much thought to Lent, having been brought up in a Mennonite church. And now I attend a church gathering that is very much more...um..."free" or full of all sorts of "expression". (Man, try explaining what your church is like! - I hope we all just start looking a whole lot more like Jesus and all that will matter is that we are a part of the Body of Christ!)

Anyways, back to the Lent subject...I find it a beautiful practice (in theory) because it reminds us to put the flesh to death so that the Spirit of Christ can have free reign in our mortal bodies. Glorious thought, but painful procedure, I have found on a personal level. As I was reading today in my "Everyday with Jesus Bible" (remember, the one that should be finished in a year but takes me several more??) I came upon some wonderful words out of Deuteronomy that put the whole practice of Lent, or any sort of fasting into perspective. Whatever we call it, it's really just about MORE OF HIM & LESS OF ME as far as I can see.

This is what God has to say on the subject of priorities...which Lent & fasting reminds me of:

"And now, Israel (Karen), what does the Lord your God ask of you except to fear the Lord your God by walking in all His ways, to love Him, and to worship the LORD your God with all your heart and all your soul? Keep the Lord's commands and statues I am giving you today, for your own good. The heavens, indeed the highest heavens, belong to the Lord your God as does the earth and everything in it....therefore, circumcise your hearts and don't be stiff'-necked any longer. For the Lord your God is the God of gods, and Lord of lords, the great, mighty, and awesome God...He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreign resident..." DEUTERONOMY 10:12-18

So, having said all of that, I must admit my complete weakness in trying to give anything up in my life right now. YEESH - I wish I was so much more Godly...so much more focused on HIM and not me. Physically it's been a very challenging year and I feel like I live a fasted lifestyle in so many ways...but does that give me any excuse? I'm even afraid to ask my Kind Father what He might want me to give up when He knows I just need more of Him. Anything He would tell me would be doable because His grace is sufficient so maybe I'll just do baby steps. I can't even imagine 40 days ofgiving up anything right now - but I want to love Him more. He'll show me...day by day and step by step how to do that. Grace…

No comments: