Sunday, February 25, 2007

EXTRAVAGANCE


Yesterday as I lay resting in bed with my little niece snuggled in beside me I started talking to God... Knowing I have given up so little for "Lent" I don't have huge expectations, just a realization that fasting is biblical and therefore valuable. Suddenly, in my communing with God, His presence just landed on me so intensely and intimately. His "words" as it were, became clearer - His desire to be with me was amazing and I just felt His pleasure in spending that time alone with me. If that isn't a wonder then I don't know what is!!
It's been so long since I've had Him visit me like this. So I spoke with Him - can't remember the exact words but the essence of His reply was that even when I just give up a very little thing for Him, He responds in a hugely extravagant way. I saw a little stream of water (His presence) flowing through my life suddenly becoming a torrent of water - a gurgling laughing river of His presence... OH. MY. GOODNESS!!


A visitation...a sweet time of realization - revelation. Immanuel - God with us...with ME! I am so incredibly blessed. Never alone. Never abandoned. Never without HOPE. Always Him with me. A gift unspeakable, barely fathomable. Thank you Precious Wonder for visiting with me - even though you're always with me, those times of revelation change me and help me to move ahead.

Suddenly giving up a tiny bit and seeing how the stream becomes a torrent makes me want to give up a little bit more. And in thinking these thoughts, His thoughts somehow intercepted mine again, letting me know that this is how the baby steps turn into walking and then into running and the running into leaping and suddenly there we are - on the mountain heights together!

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength,
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
He enables me to go on the heights"

Habakkuk 3:19

No comments: