Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Poor Moose


It's been a rough spring, summer and fall for our dear Moose.
All started in April when someone took him to the lake and forgot to clean his ears.
That led to a wicked ear infection that went on and on and on.
For months.
I tried the "natural methods" to heal his affliction, to no avail.
I don't think I was consistent enough and it turned into a monster.
Even taking him to the vet and the resulting ear drops were not successful.

Poor dear Moose.
Ear drops, head shaking, ear cleaning, crying, more head shaking.
My father thought we should put him out of his misery.
As in permanently.

Back to the vet we went. Again.
By this time it was fall and the vet put Moose under to get a good look at the area and to flush it out just in case there was a piece of weed or grass in there.
But nope. Just a raging infection.

So after a dose of strong oral antibiotics along with some new drops the infection, gloriously cleared. We were so happy and Moose was most likely hugely relieved after months of misery.

Anywas, the dear big thing is once again head shaking and crying so he's back on another round of antibiotics and ear drops.
He is one pathetic sight with his drooping shoulders and huge soulful eyes gazing out mournfully at the world as he deals with dizziness, pain and probably all kinds of other noises in his head.
He looks at us with his sad eyes and tilted head and we pray for his healing.
The amount of money I have spent on this beloved animal is staggering to me.
I'm always thinking about hungry children in other countries and find it hard to justify spending so much on a pet.
But I certainly can't stand to see him suffer and I think God loves it when we are kind to our animals. More than that I cannot comprehend.

There is however, hope on the horizon. One of my students told me today of a diet their dog is on that cured it of ear infections.
So, fresh and raw may soon be on Mr. Moose's menu.
I am hopeful for this poor dear pathetic lovely animal.

No comments: