Friday, December 17, 2010

It Just Keeps Getting Better!



Seriously, as if it hasn't been enough fun in this one week to have my son get engaged, to have my daughter come home for the holidays, and to have another stupendously amazing gal move into my home, tonight's events brought on even more merry making!

My dear father turned 85 on Wednesday and tonight we all gathered in the condo restaurant to have a party. We eagerly rushed in out of the cold frosty night, reveling in the warmth and joy of togetherness. My brother had flown into town this morning from Calgary and we were all just so happy to be together again. Again, the richness of all the ages is a treasure to enjoy and I am basking in all the goodness, knowing it's a gift of grace.



After a delicious meal we presented Dad with a card designed on a scroll that measured about 6 or 7 feet long. On it were written all the things we love about him and my wonderful tall son held it up as we loudly read out the many fine points of this special husband, father, grandfather and greatgrandfather! (and unique pet owner...)





He seemed pleased and sat beside his beloved wife of 60 years drinking in the love and admiration. We then presented him with a mechanical monkey that rolled on the table laughing uproariously causing us to laugh along. (Those of us that find things like that amusing anyways... me being one of them). I figured that since he doesn't appreciate gifts anyways I may as well give something at least the little kids and I would enjoy!



Then... my brother got up beside his daughter and said he had an announcement to make. He had gotten engaged the night before!
OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!! I was completely surprised as was most of the crowd. He bashfully related the details of his last evening with his girlfriend, now fiance, and finished by giving us the wedding date set for next June! Wow - way to scoop the attention and create yet another stir!

We were completely delighted and he had to weather a barrage of questions for us curious ones in the crowd who wanted DETAILS!

That was a lot to digest and my father rose to make his departure, claiming the need to rest, probably needing some time to mull over this new turn of events. On his way out he surprised us by asking our forgiveness for all the ways he had hurt us over the years.

???

Where did that come from? Something is surely going on in that man's spirit and I'm praying that it's the Holy Spirit drawing him closer to Jesus. As a result the light is getting brighter and the need for confession is growing. We kind of shrugged it off saying he was a good father etc. etc. but later came to the conclusion that we needed to acknowledge his request and speak out forgiveness. So some of us did that before saying farewell.

A little prayer meeting was held in the kitchen upstairs where several of us again agreed for Ephesians 1;17, 18 to come to pass in his life. I'm feeling the intensity over this battle and I want to do my part to see His Kingdom Come in the patriarch of our family.

And in the midst of all of this watching my precious kids enjoying each other's company.

It doesn't get better than this.
Quite the night indeed.

No comments: