Monday, April 2, 2007

SuFFering


Not the nicest title for a post, I know. Suffering. But it's part of the package deal from what I've found on my journey. And it seems not to be very evenly distributed. Just like good looks, talent, intelligence and material possessions don't seem to be fairly distributed amongst mankind from our tiny vantage point down here.

But there's so much we don't see.

What a relief that God is God and I'm not!! I'm so glad I'm not in charge of handing out these various "treasures"! And I must admit that suffering has been a gift in my life, as much as I've wanted to run from it at times. It reminds me that life is about so much more than what we see and feel and experience down here. It's easier not to get caught up in the "rat race" if just getting through a day is a struggle. Not that most days are like that...but some are. And that's ok. Those days remind me that we're only here for a very little while.

Our time down here is short but vitally important. So those very things that seem to rob the "pleasure" out of life are really arms of grace pushing me into what matters most. Jesus. And anything that gets me looking at Him, longing for Him and loving Him more is worth it in the long run. Really, it is. (At the moment I'm not in intense pain so I can say this...smile)

And then the true pleasure comes. (If I don't try to hide. If I choose to look at Him, worship Him and throw myself over the cliff of faith and land in His arms.)
The pleasure of His presence.
The pleasure of pleasing Him.
The pleasure of reveling in His beauty and creation and life.
The pleasure of hearing Him tell me that He really, really loves me. That He's proud of me. Amazing Grace.


"There's far more to this life than trusting in
Christ. There's also suffering for him. And the suffering is as much
a gift as the trusting." Philippians 1: 29? (The
Message)

So...what am I really saying here? I'm not even sure. Just admitting that life can be really hard sometimes. I've watched so much suffering around me this year. So much. And I don't even live in Calcutta! But God continues to rescue and give perspective and courage and strength for the journey. So that we can pursue the reason that we have been given life - to be conformed into the image of His Son (Romans 8:29). Often I forget about that part and just concentrate on getting through the tough spots. (I too like the comfortable parts of life!!)

Having said all of that I also know that He loves to give us an abundance of gifts if we will have the eyes to see them...and enjoy them. I am overwhelmed when I think of how much God has given me - how much He has allowed me to see and enjoy and experience. I recall a quote by C.S. Lewis I believe, that talked about God not allowing us to get too comfortable down here so we don't mistake this world for our home. Well, I for one can certainly say that I'm glad that this is NOT the end of the journey and this is not my real "home".

THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!

No comments: