Monday, April 16, 2007

The Quote

In my post entitled "Suffering" (April 2) I referred to a writing by C.S. Lewis that I had read some years ago. Strangely enough, I picked up a devotional book to read during Lent and there was the exact quote so I wanted to post it in it's entirety. It seems to explain for me some of the perplexities we face in life - learning to be "in the world and not of it" and trying to figure out pain in the midst of it all. It's that strange inter-mingling of suffering and joy that we need to learn to live with and somehow, taking it up a notch, remember that we have been instructed to, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all cirucmstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"The Christian doctrine of suffering explains a very curious fact about the world we live in. The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure, and merriment He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: a few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bath or a football match, have no such tendency. Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home."

C.S. Lewis from "The Problem of Pain"

1 comment:

Island Melody said...

What a profound quote! This world is not our home and we can not "rest our hearts in earthly securities. However, it is comforting that God "refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns." Maybe that explains the deep felt homesickness I experience at times, even when all is well. I was not created for this world and my heart longs for something that can not be exactly named. Maybe when we enter the gates of Heaven, our souls will sigh and say, "Ah, now I'm finally home. Maybe, it will be like the satisfaction of returning after a lengthy holiday to sleep in my own bed and realizing in the morning that I hadn't truly slept well in the inn.