Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Yard


It's a funny thing - me - trying to do yardwork. Our automatic sprinklers are not on yet and I am getting concerned about the thirsty grass which is going from it's fresh brand new green to a tired yellow. ALREADY!! And for some reason the regular sprinklers that we occasionally purchase seem to disappear so I end up trying to rescue the lawn and trees, lumbering along in my wheelchair through the grass and dragging that immensely heavy hose behind me.



Yet it brings me great pleasure, being outside, listening to the sweetest bird songs, pulling the occasional weed from the bark mulch and trying to clean out my flowerbeds for the colorful delights I hope to plant soon. Jewel is a wonderful companion - coming to steal kisses from me as I am hunched over some piece of the earth unable to defend myself. She is so satisfied with my company and I with hers. What a treasure she is.



We got her just over five years ago, in February. She was advertised for free in the paper and her name was Jewel. Half golden lab and half Bouvier. A lovely black hairy creature with a heart of pure gold. Big bushy eyebrows and a beard to boot! At first we tried to figure out a new name for her, but somehow we couldn't come up with anything we all agreed on so she remained "Jewel". A name that has suited her perfectly. A more gentle animal you could not wish for.



She had a lump removed this past February and I was hoping all would be well minus the lump. But recently she's started limping and is becoming very lethargic. As we drive up the driveway we are no longer greeted by her leaps of joy and eager presence. She just lays there in the grass or in the dirt hole next to the house and feebly wags her tail. It's pathetic and has me quite concerned. I just can't justify much more money for the vet, as it's been so expensive this year already. So I will wait awhile longer and keep feeding her fresh bones from the butcher and praying for her health to return. I encouraged her to get up as I was outside working and soon she was wandering happily about, sniffing the latest offering which have been left by neighboring dogs on the bushes and sitting near me hoping for a good neck scratch. Her limp was not so pronounced today so I will hope and pray for her recovery so that we can continue to enjoy our precious Jewel.

No comments: