Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Houseboat Fiesta



I work for such an amazingly wonderful department at my school. I don't even know what it's called, to be honest, but it's the best.
(I know the name of the school, just not the department haha!)

For our "end of year" party all of us "educational assistants" got to board a houseboat and float around our beautiful lake.
The boat we were on is one of the tall ones to the left above my head. The lovely lady with me is the mom of one of my favourite students as well as a coworker of Patrice.  

Thankfully I didn't know ahead of time that THIS was part of the package...


Or I wouldn't have showed up!

A very steep and very narrow staircase needed to be navigated if I was to join the rest of the partiers on the boat.The other option was to sit alone below in a rather small space. Which is not really the first choice for an extrovert such as myself! 


Thankfully the captain on board was not easily daunted and he and another fellow grabbed the front and back of my chair and squeezed me up to the top.
There may have been some grunting and straining involved, but they persevered and I popped out on the upper deck! 


It was a perfect day and even though I felt a little awkward due to my closest colleague not being on board, I chatted it up with a few people and enjoyed some sort of a special drink the friendly houseboat man concocted for me. 


If all else fails, sip on a fruity beverage...


Not to worry, it was non alcoholic as I knew I was the designated (and only) driver on the way home. Although, had I wanted something that packed a bit of a punch there were plenty of options available! 


We slowly floated past homes of the "rich and famous" and the steward was more than happy to impart some gossipy stories that didn't put them in the best light.
However, I have a short memory and I don't envy these places as I can't even imagine how they would get me from the house down to the lake.


Such a pretty city and so fun to see new angles while the wind is blowing through your hair and the Okanagan sun is shining down and motor boats are zooming past.


We floated under the bridge and back to the dock while munching on chips and enjoying each other.
School's out for another year folks!! 

So glad I was healthy and able to attend this little celebration as I don't get many opportunities to get out on this gorgeous lake which I gaze upon daily.




No comments: