Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Long Term Care



Our beautiful season at hospice ended abruptly when a room for two was found at a local long-term care facility.  
Here is their new home.


We've got mom and Dad settled into their spacious room with a view, trying to cozy the place up with some of their own stuff but there is a tremendous amount of confusion on mom's part about what the heck is going on.
Even though Elsie and I spend time with them there,  coming at separate times so that there is more "coverage" I have still gotten phone calls from mom asking where we are and why have we left them there alone? 
She seems forlorn and lost thinking we have abandoned her and Dad.
It's heart wrenching.
Dad doesn't have much to say about things but I believe he is happy to finally have mom with him full time. 


The place itself is large and roomy and the staff are friendly and kind.  We make use of the piano and occasionally play songs while the residents are eating.


Mom is very devoted to Dad, sitting with him wherever he is placed in his large recliner or laying beside him in bed.
Sometimes I arrive and find mom just sitting in her chair in front of Dad as he sleeps. I'm wondering how this is all going to pan out...


Long days full of next to nothing except mealtime.
Dad will eat if he was fed but he is pretty sleepy and weak and very thin.


I love this picture below of Dad smiling while mom is holding his hand. (I used the picture later for the memorial service and I don't know how to get the words to disappear, but they are very fitting.)


Meanwhile, back at the orchard the apples are ripening and preparations are being made to bring in the harvest.  


God knew I would need to have my cup filled up with these endless drives through breathtaking beauty...




No comments: