Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Dear Beautiful Canada


Sara, Patrice and I plastered ourselves with Canada tattoos and headed downtown to join in with the city to celebrate our glorious country. 
There was a piano outside on the walkway so I felt compelled to play "Oh Canada" and soon a small crowd had gathered around and were singing along.
Our dear neighbours from across the street were part of the group and it was so special to experience the joy and camaraderie of our shared love.


My gratitude grows year by year for the privilege I have been given of living in this beautiful land.  Much is required from those who have been given much and by the simple fact that I daily enjoy the freedom and goodness of living in this huge land I know that much is required from me.
I pray that I will use this privilege well.


I was eager to celebrate this day which is set aside for frolicking and merrymaking, music and dance.
The Polish dancers were some of my favourites, but I also loved the Korean Fan dance and the Hawaiian and Tahitian dancers.  
Oh and those Old Time Fiddler's were amazing!
They serve free cake and there are all sorts of delicious smelling ethnic foods to be purchased.  
This wee aboriginal girl was having a wonderful time dancing around me and playing ball with Sara. 
Her little smile speaks of hope,
for a people who have been broken and driven into the ground but who are rising again. 
There is hope for restoration and brand new beginnings. 


And we found Tante Hilda who LOVES these festivities at Prospera Place and thankfully she is walking well enough this year to get around again.  Her heel which was broken last year at this time has mended.
Not as good as new, but good enough to bring Tante Hilda where she needs to go!


She was thrilled to get a tattoo from her "adopted grand-daughter". I myself was also covered with tattoos.  
Nine of them.  


Here is one of them...


And then we walked along the boardwalk meeting wonderful people and enjoying the joyful throng.
Such a hot day, but I kept pouring water on my head and I had my straw hat on to keep the sun out of my eyes so all was well.


Hard to believe I call this lovely city home.


In this expansive, diverse, amazing country, I got to be planted right here in paradise. 



No comments: