Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Tucked Away In Winter



I’m tucked away in a winter lodge with my three children for two days of cozy, snowy, togetherness.  It feels like a dream come true and my  heart sings a happy song as I listen to the kids chatting in the kitchen as they prepare meals.


They are so kind to each other and this moves me deeply.  To hear their gentle laughter and to observe the consideration they show each other.  I wish I wasn’t such a burden in the sense of needing so much  physical help when I am out of my home element that serves me so well.  


But there is something about getting away into a different environment that allows us to interact intentionally, to enjoy a gentle rhythm together and to reconnect. So I make the effort to search out a place that will work for the wheelchair and I happily pay for this privilege. 


Merry Christmas to me! 


 I have missed Daniel, in particular, this fall as he has  really been swallowed up into graduate school and has had very little energy left to pursue anything but that. 



Out here we have time to rest, relax, read, play games, visit and just be.  Such a gift.  


There is also time to enjoy the great outdoors despite frightfully cold weather and a deep blanket of snow. The kids went out snowshoeing and trekked out onto the lake and into the woods.    


I, on the other hand remain cozily tucked into the lodge looking out through big windows onto the picturesque landscape...



Drinking hot drinks and thanking God for His mercies.   


There is also a games room next door where we had a fun afternoon playing pool and air hockey.  


This little family of mine is far from perfect, but there is so much good despite the onslaught of difficulties we have endured…paralysis, broken marriage, depression, daunting diagnosis and anxiety. But this is life on earth.   We all face struggles; some are mountains that look and feel impossibly high and steep, and so they have been.  But there has been the beautiful loving hand of God – DIVINE INTERVENTION – that breaks in time and time again to rescue us from  succumbing to despair. 


He doesn’t pull us out of the hard things in most cases, but He anoints us with strength, courage, wisdom and the occasional miracle that allows us to breathe steadily again and have hope. 



To carry on in our journey and to laugh along the way. 


I’m so glad that I know my journey is leading somewhere very beautiful.  Outrageously so.  So I pray that He will strengthen me daily to fix my eyes on Him and to “run with endurance” this race that He has set before me. 


To quote a favorite scripture/song I've been listening to up here:  “Although we are weeping, 
Lord help us keep sowing, the seeds of your Kingdom…. 
Your sheaves we will carry, Lord please do not tarry…
All those who sow weeping will go out with songs of joy…”




No comments: