Saturday, June 6, 2015

Enchanting June



This was one of those days that felt like I was reading about my life in a storybook.
The sweet morning warmth on the back patio, umbrella up, dogs laying on the heated red bricks.
Tending my flowers, admiring their colourful beauty, and telling them how lovely they are.


The lilies have joined the party now and I discovered some amazing little bachelor buttons in my wild garden.  The roses are basking in the sunshine and continue to dominate the stage.


They are truly glorious.
I have so many! Bushes full of them. Pink and red and even a tiny yellow one just opened.


Moving slowly and easily through the cool, quiet house with no agenda, just an enchanting June day at home, in paradise.

The comfort of my sweet Patrice here with me.  Taking her books outside to sit in the shade, making iced coffee and just being.  So gentle, so easy.


She loves and needs her down time.  Especially now that she's working two jobs and volunteering at the thrift store.
And I love the down time with her in this place we call home.
She's still here with me...wonder of wonders.  My heart is glad.
Just here, right now.
I won't worry about next week or next year.

My barista girl made me a mocha latte and I was able to spend an hour or more laying on a padded bench on the patio enjoying it.


Looking up at the blue, blue sky and the oak leaves peeking over the roof at me.  So tall and majestic.
I call him Oakley.

I've been searching for a way to be out there on the patio, in a comfortable position, for literally years now.  And I think I've finally figured it out.
I am able to get on and off of the bench now that I've purchased a thick cushion that puts me at almost the perfect height for this kind of spectacular independence.



I have lain in my bed, looking out at the warm summer days, wishing I could be outside instead of freezing in my air-conditioned bedroom.  So, 28 years into this paralyzed life I seem to have found a solution and it made the day like no other.  A new season has begun.

As I lay on the deck, looking out over the green hills and mountains, surrounded by flowers and vines, I so wished that Mom and Dad and Tante Hilda could spend more time out here enjoying this spectacular beauty and peace.  It seems wrong somehow that we're all separated by so many miles and difficulties, but I put out a call and before I knew it the evening was arranged.

Patrice and I got busy in the kitchen preparing a feast fit for queens and kings.
Salmon and quinoa, roasted carrots and a cauliflower cheese dish I found in the freezer, strawberry feta salad and ciabatta bread.  For dessert Patrice made a plum pastry dish and I made the family favourite; cinnamon squares.


It all came together so easily and the warm evening air was perfect.  Patrice whipped up a delicious watermelon strawberry drink that was summer perfection.

At first when I invited Dad he excused himself saying something about life being so hard, but I encouraged him, telling him that's why we have family - so we can do this thing together and help each other out.  So he came.  And stayed longer than he has in a very long time.


There was such peace and joy around the table as we indulged in all the deliciousness.  Even Esther, John, and Matthew joined us for dessert and for the fellowship following.


There were walks out into the field, jumping on the trampoline, running with all the puppies, and laughter around the table as we enjoyed some fascinating videos Matthew had put together for his school projects.


I'm so glad I've learned to invite Jesus to my evenings and that He shows up in such creative and wonderful ways.


Ahh, the preciousness of family. In all it's diversity and beauty.  We really do need each other.  
Cause we can't do life alone.


Even Dad took a long walk out into the orchard and around the property.

And these two lovelies just enjoy each other immensely.  Kinda like peas and carrots.  




No comments: