Saturday, November 8, 2014

I am in Jerusalem

I'm going to back track a little here because there are so many little stories comprising the larger one and I don't want to forget...

Since I was stuck on the bench at the airport and Anita was running rather late, I got desperate and asked and British Airways sent a large strong man to lift me off my chair and push me and my bags to the counter where I checked in my suitcase and got my boarding pass.

All was well.  Exceedingly so.

Until I visited the washroom and realized that my external bathroom device was seriously malfunctioning.  I was stunned with the realization that I had a 9 hour flight ahead of me.  And my bag was checked in with all of my medical supplies.

So I went back to the check in and asked the woman if I could have my suitcase back. The one that had gone rolling down the conveyer belt about 20 minutes ago to who knows where.   I knew this was a little awkward but desperate measures were needed to be taken VERY quickly.  She looked shocked but sprang into action and ran hither and thither and finally returned with my beloved suitcase.  She said they hadn't gotten it onto the plane yet which was very good news.


Amazingly, all was rectified in short order and Anita and I were finally in the air and on our way to Heathrow Airport.  We spent the night at a hotel and after some coffee and breakfast we winged our way to Israel.

ISRAEL - for real!!


Tel Aviv was lit up by the late afternoon sun as we flew in and it was beautifully warm.  Our flight was delayed and then delayed in the air again so we got in late and it was almost Sabbath.  I was delighted to be partnered up with a lovely little airport attendant named Tehila, which means Glory in Hebrew. And then she said to me those most beautiful ancient words  "Shabbat Shalom".

 And our Taxi Driver's Name?  Can't remember how it was pronounced but he said it meant something like "to Grow in Glory".  Oh my word.

Greeted with Glory and transported by a growing Glory.   I can hardly wait for the conference to begin.

May this place be overwhelmed by the Glory of God.  May blind eyes be opened and deaf ears be unstopped.

We drove along the freeway and I marvelled at the history of this land that I was driving over so swiftly.  Marveling at the landscape and thinking about how many stories had transpired here.  Driving up, up, up into the hills and finally seeing Jerusalem at the top was amazing.  The large moon hung low and heavy over the city lights and my heart was full.



I am in Jerusalem.  Where Abraham sacrificed His son.  Where Nehemiah wept over the ruined walls, where David's mighty men stole water to bring him and where Solomon built the temple.  Where Jesus came as a twelve year old boy and later where he walked and talked with his disciples.  Here he rode in on a donkey to shouts of Hosanna, shared the last supper, prayed and gave up His life and rose again.

Here.

And I am really here - in the flesh.
God in His great Kindness has allowed me to come and to pray in this beautiful city.
Mount Zion - The City of the Great King.

In the lobby when we arrived Shabbat had begun and I was surrounded by men and women who were all dressed up; the ladies in their beautiful dresses, the men in their suits and yarmulkes, children in their fancy outfits, the boys with their little tiny yarmulks.  They were rushing off with their prayer books and I longed to go with them.  But we were seriously jet lagged and exhausted so we checked into our room.  Our room is comfortable, on the 7th floor and the bathroom works for me. (just barely but oh what relief)


I was alone for awhile after getting into the room and I looked out the window at what I could see of Jerusalem.  The moon still shining bright in the sky and again I was overwhelmed with gratefulness.  I bowed down and wept, thanking God for this privilege and honour.



We slept well and long and started our day with one of the most delicious breakfasts I have ever eaten.  The breads were so delicious and fresh, the variety of cheeses were amazing and oh so tasty and there were salads and pastries, and egg dishes and fish.  I wanted to share all the food goodness with Patrice, as the flavours were so much richer and deeper than what I seem to get at home.

I can hardly wait to repeat that experience tomorrow.

There was a Shabbat meeting in the room nearby so I boldly went in and listened as the men with prayer shawls and yarmulkes chanted their prayers out of little books and sang.  Small children ran about playing and the women were huddled in groups away from the men visiting.  Hebrew is spoken and I feel bewildered but awed.

I am in the Promised Land and the children of Israel are still awaiting their Messiah.
He is here. And soon the knowledge of God WILL cover the earth as the waters cover the sea.



No comments: