Friday, September 30, 2011

Stepping Out

This year I have been really challenged in the area of finances and giving.
It's a place that God has to keep visiting and revisiting with me.
Because, well, money is a bit of a deal with me.

I feel like I need to be so careful because, what if, one day
I can't look after myself.
Being paralyzed and all, life is just a whole lot more complicated.

So I try to justify hanging onto savings.
Because I seem to trust in them more than I trust in God.

And I know the Bible talks all about wisdom and going to a multitude of counselors.
There's lots of advice about money in there.
Sometimes He tells us to give it all away.
Sometimes He says invest - don't bury it.
Sometimes He just says "share"...

So I'm still on this long learning curve.
And this evening I had the privilege of learning
That I've had the opportunity of becoming a part of something really beautiful.
God prompted me to give a certain amount for the building of an orphanage
For kids in Thailand.

A future and a hope.
Because Jesus cares about them
He spoke to me way over here, an amount.
Quite specific, I might add.
And I wrestled and asked for confirmation.

He didn't confirm the amount the way I was hoping.

Instead He spoke to me about justice.
I wondered how I would feel if those were one of my children.
I would give whatever it took to see them tucked safely into warm beds at night
Under a solid roof.
With healthy food in their tummy and clothes on their back.
And access to education.

So, I'm learning that it's better to just obey.
By faith.
Because that's what pleases God.
Even if I didn't quite hear perfectly.
It's really so little because it doesn't even inconvenience me.

I bless the one man who looks after these 40 kids.
Laying down his life for them
Every day.
Because He is following in the steps of our beautiful Master.
Who laid down everything for us.

Oh how He loves us.

No comments: