Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade Holidays


This week two of my closest friends went off on a holiday without me to Bellingham with someone else. It was a mission of mercy, but I felt rather abandoned nonetheless in my already rather fragile lonely state. However, I decided quickly that I'd just better make the best of things and adopt two of their sons and have my own holiday with them!

A rather marvelous time was enjoyed by all three of us and it just goes to show me that if I'll move in the right direction of a good attitude, God will overcompensate for whatever ways I have messed up and bring redemption. No pity parties for this young lady!!

Carpe Diem!

Our homemade holiday started with an outing to the movie theatre for 3D Toy Story which was FUNNY and OH SO GOOD!!! I just love a happy ending and I especially love popcorn and both were enjoyed on that rainy afternoon. We came home for a late supper that I had prepared earlier - mmmm delicious casserole!! This bolstered our strength for the playing of an intense round of the farming game. Of course I took the more conservative route and lost but we had many good laughs about cows bursting. tractors falling over cliffs and other ridiculous farming antics.

We had our weekly beach day even though we were greatly diminished in number. It turned out to be one of the best beach days yet!!


So much sunshine, a perfect little beach with grass for me and sand for the boys, a delicious lunch of fresh peas from the beautiful daughter's garden, watermelon and chubby sandwiches washed down with water.



There were lots of small children to watch, a friend to visit and all sorts of rivers and pools created in the sand.

That morning involved a little detour doing important banking to make sure the daughter gets to Bible School this fall and the purchase of a new washer and dryer as ours has been sounding like a machine gun. It finally stopped working with a full load of soapy clothes and towels that never got rinsed or spun. It is still sitting there full of dirty water. Ha!! But this too shall pass and my new purchases will be installed on Saturday. I will be exceedingly excited to get rid of the piles of dirty laundry that are oozing out of the cupboard and piling up on the laundry sink. How blessed am I to have a washing machine!?! Incredibly blessed indeed.

Back to holidays - enough of errands pushing in on the fun stuff!! Another delicious meal (salmon rice and peas) was enjoyed in the evening followed by the movie LIFE about monkeys and such beasties. I've gotta insert here that these young men really know how to enjoy food and let you know that they just LOVE what you've prepared. It actually makes cooking almost fun when it is received with such fanfare and enthusiasm. I went to bed with a sunburn and I even looked and felt like I had been somewhere exotic with my bright red nose. Should have applied coconut handcream and it would have transported me to Hawaii!

Today was a fun home day involving card creations, desert building (my second trifle in a week - looked so pretty and tasted exquisite with the irish cream I soaked the cookies in =)



We drank iced tea out on the patio, read our bibles, had a water fight, my young hero planted a raspberry bush for me, I played with my flowers and the boys went wild with the small pruned apples.


Jumping on the trampoline at dusk and smacking small apples with tennis racquets much to the delight of Moose who was in "ball heaven" with all these small round apples flying in all directions.


For supper company arrived - from ages one to eighty four - and a delicious backyard BBQ was enjoyed under the big umbrella. The littlest one amused us all eating his huge chunks of watermelon with great gusto. Those big gummy smiles just melted our hearts!





So glad I chose a play party instead of a pity party.
Now I lay me down to sleep... and I pray that I truly will, because last night's sleep didn't start till 5 am! Catch up time...


No comments: