Wednesday, July 28, 2010

GLACIER


I am publishing this little missive "after the fact" as my time at the computer elapsed before I had a chance to push "publish". That sounds frightfully official, but there you have it. My little life experiences are shared here in my privately public world.

Day 4

We stopped off in Juneau yesterday – I was guided down long ramps to land and we promptly found the library where we had free internet access. It was slow and I wasn’t able to get onto my blog or do e-mail but of course, FACEBOOK was working. Thank goodness for that! I was able to read and write messages and communicate with the dear daughter. She’s busy working working working at that cherry business. And thankfully she is keeping the dogs company when she is home. Apparently they are besides themselves with excitement when she arrives in their rather bleak and lonely day. I think Dad is also showing up once a day to give them a break.

Juneau was also fun for shopping and I quickly purchased a few souvenirs for my people. I think the other ports we will arrive at will only be accessed by little boats and that isn’t really my style unfortunately. I am hoping to view some whales and animals at some point so I guess that means I will have to spend time looking at the shorelines and waves!

We are presently cruising up to the glacier and here I am tucked into my bed. Everyone else is roving the ship looking for a good view but I’m waiting for 2:00 when we actually arrive and then I will go and risk the elements and take a peek and a picture.

The weather is a little bleak – rainy and cloudy but we are able to see the snowy mountain peaks and the glacier. I’ve already seen it twice so it’s not imperative that I am up there for all of these hours. Elsie and I have devised a sling for my leg to help me drain my fat ankle!! Hahaha! We are so inventive and she is unbelievably kind and helpful. I have forgotten what it was like to have such a great helper in my life! A seriously great helper. She is having her own struggles with health and emotions but she overcomes quite diligently and I am so proud of her. Her kindness and devotion to me is astounding. Yesterday she was ridiculously worried that I had been kidnapped or something when I didn’t come back to the ship right away but went shopping on my own instead. I must learn to communicate better!

This morning I sat and made cards for my Sunday school girls at the pool deck. It was fun being creative and visiting with people as they came by. I’ve had this on on my to=do list for awhile and now there’s time and the grace to do it! I’ve also started working my way through my chronological bible. It’s easier here for some reason.

Yesterday we attended a church service which I loved. I love hearing the word of God read out loud and I love hymns. So it was a good combination with a great little teaching on Abraham asking God for mercy on Sodom and on the passage about asking and receiving. Vic was annoyed by what he perceived the guy was saying and I missed that part – ha!

No comments: