Friday, July 23, 2010

FaMily HOlidaY



There was a woman in this little GPS with an Australian accent who helped us get around Seattle. She was endlessly patient and got us to the Space Needle, Pike's Market and even to a hotel at long last.


Do we look confused? At least we are together!! Going on a cruise!!!

I have got about the best family I could have asked for. With all of us and our varied and sundry challenges we sometimes look like the gong show - deafness, blindness, paralysis, depression... but we are overcomers!!

Overcomers extraordinaire!!!!!!

Yesterday my brother, mom, sister and I all packed our bags and headed to Seattle. Beautiful scenery, fun conversations, First Ladies Detective Agency, and lots of laughs. We drove right into the center of the city and enjoyed the festive atmosphere and amazing architecture. Vic and I shot up the space needle and got a birds eye view of the city and ocean - little sail boats, city skyline and pretty much everything else that you see when you are halfway into the sky so close to the clouds!



After a yummy dinner at a Sports Pub we walked along behind a huge marching band that filled the atmosphere with joyous rhythm, songs and oompahpah!! We were behind the Tubas section!! A very fun place to be on a warm summer night.


We are a remarkably cheerful little bunch - even when the beautiful scenery turns into several hours of hotel hunting for the verrrrrrry elusive handicap washroom. The reservation I had made didn't work out so our hunt began. It is hard on me when I have to drag a bunch of people into my personal challenges when everyone is exhausted and it is nearing midnight. But laughter and good cheer prevailed - songs were sung, prayers were prayed and after countless stops and hours of driving we hit the jackpot and happily settled into a room with one bed and a massive bathroom.

In a city called Fife.
That has a restaurant called "Poodle Dog: Good Food" with a lit up giant poodle.


Mom and Vic were raising their arms in praise and we were doing the happy praise you Jesus dance in our hearts as our bodies relaxed into that rather glorious horizontal position. Us three ladies shared the one King Bed quite easily, and Vic happily crashed on a mattress on the floor. He has been a King among men. Loving, Patient, Cheerful, Helpful and King beyond measure.



We slept soundly and are getting ready for the next leg of this already memorable adventure. I've gotta say, traveling with this bunch is most gratifying in the sense that I see the treasures that God has put so close to me for this life journey. We are family. We are in it for the long haul and they won't leave me because my life is hard not only on me but on everyone who comes very close to me.

When I was lamenting the fact that my problem was causing them all hours of hardship at the end of a very long exhausting day, my mom firmly and lovingly let me know that she was glad that we could be together in my difficulties and that they could experience it with me.

We are family.
God with skin on.

I think they all passed a test right along with me last night.
To God be the Glory.

My prayer for this journey is for protection, of course, but that we could be a blessing wherever we go and spread the sweet fragrance of Jesus who is everything we need.

No comments: