Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Always Hope



This beautiful woman.
She has become my precious daughter. 
But sometimes, as time passes, if I don't get enough "one on one" with her, I forget who she is. 

But yesterday I remembered.

We went for lunch at a favourite spot downtown and somehow the gates were open and communication was easy.


Last week I attended a forum on Youth and Addiction that she has been part of planning and organizing for the past 15 months or so. 
It was amazing, raw, heart wrenching and hopeful.
It was the culmination of a ton of hard work; extra hours on top of her already stressful job, agonizing with organizations that are all part of the solution but don't know how to work together yet, and hope for a solution for kids who are caught in addiction without easy access to resources to break the cycle. 

It reminded me of what she is about, how deep and big her heart is for those who are trapped in addiction and out on the streets. 


So we talked about that.
I let her know how proud I was of her for how hard she works for those who are oppressed.
There were many tears on her part and on my part.
Her work is intense and very consuming.
She comes in contact with death on a regular basis.
Relapses and sometimes the death of her clients who have become her friends.
People she has fought really hard for and has loved passionately.


We kept our conversation going as we walked along the lakeside.
I was grateful for this time of reconnection, especially before she joins Daniel in Vancouver next week.
The extra few weeks were needed here to do her presentation and to finish up her job.


She will leave a huge gap at that place (drug withdrawal management) but I think the break will be good for her.
Time to refuel and get some R&R after this gruelling season.


We made our way through the bird sanctuary, marvelling at the peace and beauty.
What a gift to be together on this peaceful day.


It's all twirled and twisted together, somehow.
The beauty, the trials, the tears and some laughter.
I'm glad I have family to do life with.
Grateful for moments when our worlds collide and things feel clear again.


There may be clouds, but there is light beyond and there is always hope.

And these three remain,
Faith
Hope 
&
Love.


No comments: