Thursday, June 1, 2017

Christian Conservation




One of the reasons we added some time to our "wedding trip" was to go and visit the place where Patrice did a couple of internships last year.
I wanted to see this beautiful area and to meet the incredible people that made such a huge impact on my daughter.



It's an amazing story, how the Lord has been guiding these ones to create a place where "Christian Conservation" can take place in an environment that is nurturing, wholesome and life-changing.


This beautiful property, formerly an estate and then a residence where a family took care of disabled adults was gifted to A Rocha.
It's called Brooksdale and it is simply beautiful.


I can see why my daughter loved her time here so much.
It's a place of peace and beauty. 
It's a work in progress and they are now raising funds to renovate this huge old barn so that they can use it to host events and do teaching to larger groups.
There is lots of beautiful garden space;
rich organic soil where tons of food is produced to feed those who live here in community, to sell to those who want to purchase local healthy produce and to share with those who are in need.


Lots of hard work is required to keep a farm like this running smoothly, but those who are here are committed.
Committed to a bigger purpose, that of bringing God's order back to this piece of creation.
Of stewarding land and protecting the environment from further erosion.


Community is done well here.
Shared food - simple but delicious fare.
They eat locally and in season as much as possible.


Many hands make light work.
Or at least "lighter" work.
Patrice found her time here to be fulfilling and enriching but she was also often exhausted by the long hours.
As her time here carried on she was learning boundaries and great communications skills. 
It was a valuable season in her life and she continues to share sweet relationship with many of the lovely people here.


I'm so grateful to God for leading her here and for the impact this place and these people have had on her.
Her values and belief system have been challenged and informed.


The grounds are well kept and lush.


The old home is a perfect place to host all sorts of activities.
The kitchen large to feed the community plus a constant flow of guests and the living space perfect for "folk nights" and meditations.


Thankfully I came on the folk night evening where we had lots of fun making music and singing with some of the staff and interns.


It was fun to be a part of this place which has left such a big imprint in Patrice's heart.
I can see why this feels like a second home to her.


I made a new friend and we enjoyed chocolate scones together.


I happened to be here on the evening when they get leftovers from a local bakery to distribute amongst the staff and other needy areas in the neighbourhood.
I didn't feel very needy but I certainly benefitted from this generous donation! 

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello BATTLE MAIDEN. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected as well as know you as a christian who loves the Lord. I enjoyed the tour of Christian Conservation. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the p oorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have alife changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Recently I was in Vancouver to preach in a Street church down town. I have come to visit my son who has settled with his wife and is working with the Mustered Seed Organization. I will be here until Sunday and will be moving to Mumbai, India on 19th June.