Thursday, March 1, 2007

Something FUNNY


Sometimes I'm just so full of myself - and not even aware of it - until someone points it out or my conscience finally catches up with my mouth and leaves me feeling somewhat foolish. This was brought to my attention recently - at that dinner with my very dear friends.

After the dinner with fine conversation and much fun & laughter, it was time to clear up the table. As I was watching my friends put things away, I began to wax elegant on some subject - I believe it was spiritual- and let me tell you, I must have really been in the flow. Because suddenly, their handicapped daughter who was off to my side and to whom I was not addressing the conversation, broke into my torrent of words and gave her opinion in no uncertain terms. (I am unable to understand most of what she says so I missed the message completely). Her parents both burst out laughing simultaneously and upon asking for the interpretation I found out that I had been asked "What the Hell are You talking about???!!!"

I thought this was hilarious and had to curb my amusement to some degree because they were trying to deal with the possibility of offense and bad manners. It was refreshingly real and honest - I actually enjoyed the question and it begs some serious thought. "What the hell am I talking about most of the time?" Are my words life-giving, focused on encouraging others or am I just trying to make myself sound or look really smart or spiritual or informed??? Once again I must repent of too much of me getting in the way of Him and utter that prayer that David prayed:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be
pleasing in your sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer."
Psalms
19:14
This beautiful handicapped girl touched my life deeply that evening - not only by her forthright comment, but with her cheerful presence, laughter, prayer and her most delightful personality. If I would only stop and listen more often I believe I would be a much better person for it. "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry". James 1:19

And so I sit, gently corrected and pondering…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello?? May I timidly venture here? Where no fractured part of myself has gone before? Okay, I will.

I can relate to this post. It's uproarious in its humanity, unfathomably deep in its simplicity. I love it...

I've caught a brainwave here - this could be a prophetic catchphrase to the body of Christ. Help me, somebody, I'm for real, here! A book could be written ("What the hell are you talking about?? How to maximize Love and minimize Babble when talking to the wounded"), a TV talk show started ("What the hell are any of us really talking about??"). Not to mention the fantastic merchandise tie-ins: bumper stickers, T-shirts, postcards, sound-bytes, novelty over-sized foam fingers, action figures (with voice chips!).

I need my own blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes, You REALLY need your own blog - you are a brilliant communicator and such great fun while you're at it. Thanks for the incredibly brave little post - I truly hope there will be more!!