Monday, July 4, 2016

Reams of Raspberries!


Raspberries are one of my absolute FAVOURITE fruits, but unfortunately I don't grow them (even though I have space for acres of them).  This year 
Tante Hilda had a lead on "a couple of pails" of them so I said "yes please", not knowing that the pails were unbelievably huge. 
Not that it's a problem to have too many raspberries, but it was late by the time I picked them up so I couldn't drop any off at Daniel and Nicole's place and I had to take them all home and get them out of the pails and into the fridge before they became a large squished mass of redness.   


It was fun looking for ways to use them and since I had been sick on Father's Day we had a nice BBQ in the backyard to celebrate with steak and baked potatoes and the fun little raspberry custard deserts I put together for the occasion.
Aren't they just the cutest little things?


Here we are again around the table enjoying this fabulous season of outdoor dinners and family gatherings.




The one drawback to the whole affair is that Dad doesn't really like raspberries because of the seeds. He admitted that he just swallowed them whole so he didn't have to deal with the seeds. 


I also made jam with a bunch of the berries.
The jam is a bit runny but it will be nice to use for desserts in the coming months.


I even made up some less sweet raspberry sauce for a little brunch I had with Dawn and her daughter Amber one morning!


YUM! 

S

So much goodness packed into summer! 

No comments: