Saturday, December 20, 2014

Providence




This is a sweet season in so many ways.
The darkness with the twinkling lights and cups of steamy tea,
The gatherings of friends and family around tables full of goodness.
The services of worship and focus on that long ago event that has changed all of history and continues to permeate each day whether we are aware of it or not.

I've drawn back so much from the hustle and bustle, entering in only as need dictates and have been forced to keep things simple.
I'm unable to do so much of what I used to be able to do or what able bodied people can do, but in a way that is a gift.

It feels miraculous now when everything aligns, and I have the mental and physical energy to pull together some dear folks who, on fairly short notice make the trek up the long hill to gather in the cozy kitchen and living room to laugh together, sometimes cry together, pray together and remember.

Last night came together rather tenuously as I was laying in bed fighting a migraine a couple of hours before everyone was due to arrive. It was a small group of us from a mini church that met in our home about 24 years ago.

I lay there in bed shielding my eyes from the light, wondering how it would appear if I managed to get some goodies out on the table, welcomed people at the door, got the party going and disappeared quietly into my bedroom to nurse my sick head.

But once I got up and started moving, lighting candles, putting out the punch and starting the coffee my head cleared and thanks to some help from my dear housemates the place was prepared for a party and the guests began to arrive.

These are precious people, we share so many years of history and the love goes deep.  I believe any one of them would be there for the other in difficulty, even though we see some of the group only on these yearly Christmas events. And here we are sending a message to one of our tribe who moved to England many years ago and needs to know she is not forgotten.


These saints love God well and therefore they love each other well.  We're already seeing the next generation come along as one of the daughters arrives with her two children who are so excited to join in with the festivities hoping that Sara might show up for some fun and games, which thankfully happened again last night.

Just praying that God will continue to grant us this privilege as I feel that this kind of community and fellowship fuels us for the long hard journey that we are all on.

And I'm praying that God will strengthen me to do this more often.
Even if the setup is simple and my housekeeping skills don't shine.

As long as He shines and is welcome here, all is most well.



No comments: