Saturday, June 26, 2010

Poppies and Such



Fridays used to be my favorite day of the week. All the anticipation of the weekend ahead of me and most of the work behind. Anticipation is an amazing gift!!

So much of life has been rearranged since then and the days don't quite have the same feel and effect as they previously did. But I still like Fridays even though I'm often home alone due to lack of planning and motivation to create or search out an "event" to be part of.

Yesterday was one of those amazing days.
Got some heavy paper work out of the way first thing in the morning. My brother helping me (over the phone) to wade through apartment stuff that is kind of over my head. I'm trying to be a big girl and trying to manage the books. The learning curve continues.

Anyways, a dear friend and I had planned a "fun day" and she helped me to run a few errands before we joyfully headed over to a private little beach while sipping on our shared starbucks frappacino.

The little beach was flanked by a fence on either side and had huge willow trees that created a beautiful canopy over the water. I found shade and she found sun and it was glorious to feel the breezes and to hear the waves gently lapping on the shore. Such a delight to sit at the lakeside and to drink in the beauty and warmth, blue sky and water.

Conversation flowed easily as we discussed the glories of God and pondered the mystery that He is. She sketched and I read notes out loud from the Ignatian Retreat I attended last weekend. We were encouraged again by eternity and the brevity of our sufferings here in comparison to what lies ahead. The time was sweet and passed quickly and we headed home to enjoy a brief rest before running poor Moose to the vet AGAIN due to his infected ear.

It's been a couple of months now and the last vet visit and ear drops did not lead to the hope for cure. He tried to be brave, enduring a rather extensive examination, ear flush, and nail clipping after weighing in at 71 pounds. We left with a new prescription of ear drops that I am praying will effect a cure on the poor hound. He has been shaking his head so much the last couple of months it's amazing it hasn't flown off!


Supper on the patio was followed by a water color extravaganza and paintings of poppies were created by all of us thanks to our amazing teacher. The beautiful daughter has an obvious gift and her painting turned out to be a masterpiece! I can hardly wait to get it framed and up on the wall!!



The evening culminated with the three of us tucked onto my King Bed where we enjoyed the Life movie about reptiles and amphibians. Most amazing to be sure. Those Komodo Dragons are cool blast from the past but they are ridiculously brutal. Mating rituals in the animal kingdom certainly bring out the worst in the male species! I think it's just brilliant that technology and extremely persevering photographers have given us these wonderful glimpses into creation.

A lovely Friday.
A good friend a beautiful daughter and a very inspiring God.

No comments: