Monday, March 8, 2010

Light Show Just for Me

So I got to the hospital thinking it would be no big deal, and it wasn't really.
The EEG.
I'm usually up for an adventure. And I am quite enthralled with medical things for the most part.
As long as I don't have to take my clothes off or use the washroom it's all good.
And when I saw the comfy bed over by the wall I knew things were going to be all right.

I had a student assigned to me and he began to measure my head, very methodically, with a measuring tape. Then with his marker he scribbled on my head repeatedly saying this would take about a half an hour.
It did.
Then his supervisor (who looked younger than he did) had to check every mark with her measuring tape to make sure they were in the right place. Again, this took some time. The student was only off in a couple of places to his credit. And the supervisor girl gave him bonus marks for managing with my massive head of hair.
At this point I was beginning to realize how wise I was to insert enough coins into the parking meter to cover me for a good two hours.
Then with Q-tips and cleaning solution they vigorously scrubbed every spot they had colored onto my head and face and forehead.
I was instructed to lay on the soft bed and I impressed them with the skillful way I maneuvered myself onto it.
They proceeded to attach 20 leads with some rather sticky solution to the aforementioned spots.
My head was covered with glue and wires and they had a big mirror beside the bed so that I could admire the final product. I felt much younger than I looked when I took a peek.
The next hour was interesting.
The lights were dimmed and I was tucked in with pillows and a blanket.
A strobe light was positioned right over my face and they made me open my eyes and close my eyes as they switched the machine on and off causing explosions of brightly colored designs to burn themselves onto my eyelids, or brain or something. I'm not quite sure where I saw those things cause I saw them with my eyes shut - geometric designs, movement, lots of red and yellow bursts The designs changed every time the fellow turned the machine off and then on again.

The breathing exercise was a new one I've never done before.
Deep breaths in and out of my mouth for three minutes.
Three full minutes.
Try it some time.
Your mouth will get very, very dry.
The room was still dimly lit and I do believe that sometime after this strange breathing exercise I actually fell asleep. In between hearing them whisper in the dark corner and type things into the computer and give me occasional random orders like, open your eyes, now close them again and keep them closed. Gladly.
I saw little people down a long road so far away and it was black and white I think, and old fashioned.
I wondered if they were feeding things into my brain through the wires but I didn't think it was possible.

The whispering continued, the light show was repeated and I was released after the woman washed my face and pulled most of the goo out of my hair.
I hope they don't find anything bad.
It might be nice to have an excuse for my terrible memory though!

Oh, and I spent some of the time talking to Jesus and I wondered what that might look like on the machine.
I hope the neurologist will let me look at the results.
That would be interesting!

I am really, really looking forward to taking a shower tomorrow morning.
My head feels incredibly gross.

Oh, by the way, I had the sweetest evening with Daniel yesterday.
He took me out to the 3D movie Avatar and it was spectacular.
Between that and my personal light show I have seen some unusually amazing things in the last two days.

No comments: