Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fun in the SUN


Summer is most definitely here - hot, sunny days....YEEHAW!! I love the warmth, I love how the earth responds, with colors and sounds and growth galore. I've been planting flowers!!! So glad that the desire to do so even came back to me. I had felt so much winter in my bones & in my soul that I didn't know when I'd finally get the urge to shop for pretty flowers and dig around in the earth planting again.

...But it's here!! The joy of digging holes, soaking them with water and popping the sweet little plants in - eager for the explosion of growth that is sure to come. (That is, if Jewel will leave the flowers where they are!! I've already had to replant several of my petunias due to Jewel's desire to sleep in my flower bed. Sheesh.) I must say I am glad she is well enough to be digging and isn't laying around looking half dead anymore. Now that I know she has arthritis I have arranged her little bottles of supplements and I am administering them to her with her breakfast. Glucosamine, Cod Liver Oil and enteric coated Aspirin. I NEVER thought I'd be doing this with an animal, but it sure beats watching her in agony.

I have my little vegetable garden arranged - oh so cute. It's going to turn into a jungle most likely because I squished so many plants into such a small area but that's okay. It's just so much fun. My little cucumber plant has a trellis to climb on, my strawberries are waiting to ripen, raspberries have blossomed and are doing something... two tomato plants, chives, and basil are happily basking in the warmth and I am keeping them moist. (Dragging that heavy hose around again and hurting my elbow in the process but I just can't seem to help myself!!)

Tonight Becci came over with her two little people and we had great fun. Niko running through the sprinkler in his sweet nakedness, Alexia riding on the mower on Patrice's lap, Jewel and Mr. Tumness happy to have our company outside. The heat was intense today and the sun sets as I sit here typing. A pretty pinky purple glow has settled on the mountains and the earth breaths a sigh of relief to have some hours of reprieve from the heat.


I'm grateful to be enjoying the season. Grateful not to feel the heaviness and to have joy - even in the midst of unsettledness and transition and pain. Hope is stirring. Thank you Jesus for the most profound and simple pleasures that you provide. I always want to have eyes to see them and a heart that is pouring forth gratefulness. You are indeed very, very good and kind.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jewel's so smart. Tell her to dig a nice, cool hole for me and I'll camp out with her all summer.

I hear the stirring, too. Just, please, don't drag that hose around much...I don't think hoses like people with wheels.