Friday, December 20, 2019

Mrs. Claus & Pfeffernusse



Mom had a photo op with Santa at her Senior's Club - the photographer must have been so excited to see "Mrs. Claus" that he shook while taking the photo!
Mom isn't always eager to go, but she enjoys the fellowship and often comes out full of cheer and eager for her nap.
It gives all of us a break and gives mom some much needed company when it's just her and I for a few days in a row. 



Marcia was a willing helper this year for putting together the gift bags for our renters.
I'm trying to get away from "big box shopping" but I'm not really sure if it worth the effort or if it is actually making a difference.
But I'm sure the renters don't mind a friendly little bag of goodies and a card.
This year we bought local chocolates, a tin of nuts and a little bag of gingerbread cookies.
We used to do the deliveries too and the renters especially loved it if I brought the kids along when they were little, but now I rely on our wonderful manager's, Jan & Coral to do the honours.


      I've also got a willing partner for playing crib when Marcia is here!


Once the lunch is cleared away and mom is tucked in for her nap we play a round while drinking something hot and yummy and snacking on Christmas cookies.
Such a cheerful season!


 On Thursday evening I had set the table for my bookish-club ladies who were coming for a Christmas party.  But one by one they started contacting me wondering about the roads as the snow started coming down quite heavily.   


We decided the party would have to wait till January.  Everyone was so disappointed as they had their little plates of goodies ready and we were excited to have a party this close to Christmas. However, not to let the evening be a downer I decided to do some Christmas baking - I got out my recipe and the spices and whipped up a huge batch of dough for Pfeffernusse!  It's one of the few Christmas traditions I have and we all love the crunchy little ginger cookies.  


They are quite a bit of work as I end up filling about 6 or 8 pans with these cute little bits of dough.


But once they come out of the oven it's all worth the effort!
Plus the house smells heavenly.


I gave one to Mom and she pronounced them "good".

No comments: