Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Downtown December



December downtown!
How delightful to have the Christmas manger scene right in our city centre in this day and age where political correctness so often rules. 
When I was growing up we had a little cardboard version of this sitting under our tree.  I loved pulling out the box and putting it together and setting it up.
Ours was much smaller though ha!


Mom and I still enjoy going for an occasional coffee ride to get out of the house and to take in the lake view.  However, now that mom lives with me we usually have our coffee at home, all cozy and tucked in together.
We have been enjoying very mild weather and I am exceedingly pleased that there is NO SNOW!


Marie hosted our Christmas gal's gathering and I dropped mom off at Tante Hilda's since they conveniently live in the same building.
When I got in the door and saw all the familiar faces in the familiar setting I felt like we had just done this a week or two ago!  Apparently the others had said the same thing.
Time
Flying
By.


Everyone brought something to the table and we feasted and caught up on the last few months of life.
Loralee has become something of a cozy/mystery writer sensation and has been pumping out books like crazy.  She writes in Europe in the fall and has started to spend her winters in Mexico writing. Marie is still blessing our beautiful deaf community with her sign language skills when they need an interpreter and she also sings at the hospice. Anita, of course is still doing the doctor rounds in Iqaluit when she's not here looking after her Dad and keeping me company. 
Sweet Lisa had other commitments so we missed her presence. 


Since it's December I felt the urge to do my one requisite baking extravaganza.
Pfeffernusse!
The spices were lined up and I finally found a really great recipe that originated with the Mennonites so I thought it was a safe bet.


It is quite a tedious process since I double the recipe, but the effort was worthwhile.
I am of the camp that puts real pepper in for an extra punch with every crunch!


The house filled with the the smell of Christmas and I was delighted with the hundreds of little cookies that covered the counters.


Mom tasted them and pronounced them good.
Whew!


Elsie was over with Pupcake overseeing the project.


God painted the sky beautiful as a goodnight kiss.
Oh how I love Him.

No comments: