Friday, September 26, 2014

My Bookish Club



I've got this spectacular bunch of women in my life and we started out as a book club a few years ago, I've written about them before.

Way back in the day we actually read books and discussed them.
But somehow we have morphed into more of a "bookish" club, where we mention books in our meeting and we often have a book lying on the table so that it feels a little more "official", but we're not doing much reading any more.


In fact, I don't know if we have read a book this year. Every once in awhile we talk about possibly reading a book and there are maybe one or two members left who would actually like to be doing that, but they are definitely in the minority.

But oh do we ever know how to have fun.
We tell stories and eat goodies, sometimes we drink wine and we laugh a LOT.
It is THE most therapeutic book club.

We feel no pressure to perform in any way.
Or even to read any books.

And tonight I lowered the bar completely as far as being the hostess.
I got home so late from the Society of Hope 25th Anniversary Celebration that I just decided to make popcorn and serve tea.
Ha!  I've come a long way baby.  A whole new level of freedom has been achieved here.
At least the kitchen was clean and I had candles lit and a big bowl of freshly picked apples on the table.

And, as usual, these lovely friends of mine brought yummy snacks and someone brought a fizzy drink so we celebrated the Jewish New Year crying out Mazel Tov and LaChiam as we clinked our glasses!

Ah, these are sweet and precious gatherings, where life is shared, stories are told, courage is imparted and prayers are prayed.

They prayed for me - for my hands and there were a couple of insights.  One gal had a picture of me, like Paul, chained to others through this "disability".  I was sharing how I love to spend time with my new chiropractor and it is a season where I need to be ministered to by others and am "chained onto them" in a sense through my need.  They are subsequently part of my "sphere of influence" and I a part of theirs.  Someone else got a picture of me playing drums with short handles, kind of those polynesian type drums I think. Not too sure what that's about except that I feel like drums are like the heartbeat of God - and that the beat helps us to keep rhythm.  Praying I'll help others to walk in the rhythm of God...

Cool eh?  So that's what our book club looks like...

Someday maybe we'll even read a book again.



No comments: