Friday, December 27, 2013

The Countdown



It's been another lovely Christmas.
Lots of big snowflakes and scenic drives.
Christmas lights twinkling on trees and houses.

School was really fun the last week with kids full of anticipation and the classrooms and foyer full of lights and decorations.
Snow was falling and there was that delightful sense of wonder permeating the air.
I finished off my final week of teaching and was handed a beautiful big gift bag from my department head. What a sweet sendoff.  I just felt so loved and amazed as I pulled out the sunscreen, a lei and a grass skirt, a big towel and a card signed by the crowd.

Wow.

Once again this year I felt confused and a little out of control as I was purchasing gifts and I continue to hope and dream that one day I will be able to simplify the whole process and do something that costs less and blesses more…
Not sure how that's going to work out, but I think it's possible with some prayer and intentional focus in that direction.
It's just so easy so do the same-old, but there is distress in this for me and something feels wrong so I pray that next year the tide will change.
I will simplify and Jesus will take centre stage.

But the parts that I love most about this season are the lights in the season of cold and darkness.

Getting those twinkle lights up in my bedroom and around the living room along with the old familiar decorations with the carols playing softly in the background just does something for me.
Having friends over to visit and to play games and gathering around tables filled with goodies is so very sweet.
There's always a longing in me for more of this.
Skip the presents and bring on the games and visiting!!

In the midst of preparing for Christmas I was very aware of the fact that one week after Christmas I would be flying to Hawaii, so my brain felt a bit full.

Trying to tie up apartment issues, making sure my students would be looked after, planning the Christmas meal and buying groceries, getting gifts for family, friends and tenants, preaching at church!, attending meetings, having dear friends over, writing my annual Christmas letter and sending it out with pictures...
The list kept growing and I would strike things off only to have more things pop up.
Because there is a deadline.
I will not be here to deal with stuff in January.

Then, to top off the brain blitz, I got a letter from Ron right before Christmas with the issue that isn't QUITE RESOLVED YET!

And in the midst of all of this my nights were not full of much sleep.  Lots of spasms and too many thoughts and very little rest. So my brain started to short circuit and I was not doing very well.

Therefore, last night after Lana and I had our nightly Baileys and Egg Nog "LaChaim" ritual, I took a full on sleeping pill and slept deeply and soundly right till 7 AM!. As a result I felt like a person in my right mind today and was able to accomplish great and mighty things.

In other words I am basically packed!!
Elkar is pretty much looked after on my end.
Patrice is leaving Monday and is doing GREAT!
Christmas was a sweet success and full of joyful togetherness.
The turkey was just fine and everyone got fed up.
The dishes are done and I've already started taking decorations down.


No comments: