Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent Retreat


Bathe us with the brilliance of your light…


This was one of the opening lines of this years Advent Retreat and truly this is what I experienced by the time I made my way home a few hours later...

The time of guided contemplation was beautiful and my time of quiet meditation while reading through Luke 1 and 2 was full of revelation and insight.

Reading about Elizabeth and Zachariah just going about their everyday activities in their community, "leading lives of righteousness" and "in the fullness of time" - at just the right time God broke in and changed everything.  In their small story everything changed dramatically, but in the bigger scheme of God's great rescue mission everything was forever altered for EVERYONE!

And so, my small story and how I live my live life is important in the bigger scheme - my life is touching and affecting the lives of others.  I want to be one of those who choses righteousness and makes way for His presence to move on me, in me and through me, despite my failings and lack of faith.

I was encouraged that even though Zachariah blew it on one level by not believing what the angel said - he was just silenced until God's purpose was fulfilled.  I was challenged that perhaps the words that were spoken over me in the hospital way back in February 1987 have been "lost to me" in that I questioned them and have found it hard to hold onto them in the ensuing 26 years of paralysis.  However, I will not thwart the purposes of God, just like Zachariah was not able to stop what God was about.  Because I am clinging to God's word from Luke 1:20b that says "…my Words which WILL BE fulfilled in their proper time."

"I believe dear Jesus, but please help my unbelief…" and "behold the bondslave of the Lord - let it be done unto me according to your good pleasure."

And this rhema word as well!!

"Do not be afraid (Karen) for your petition has been heard:  Luke 1:13  I thought of the scripture that I have been praying on and off for years now that says "for my inheritance give me the lost.'   Oh Jesus YES!  "…to make ready a people prepared for the Lord".  1:17b

It was almost laughable how I was receiving and receiving on so many levels as I read through the two chapters.  As if God thought He would pour in as much as possible while I was finally still and listening because I'm so flighty and distracted in my normal time of devotional Bible reading.

There was so much more that was imparted and I felt rich in the Word - Emmanuel came and spent time with us.  In this dark season there was suddenly so much light. I pray that I will continue to meditate upon what I received so that it will bear fruit.



I so much appreciate the women who put these events on as I can feel the peace in the gathering can feel the prayers that have bathed this time creating a space in which it is so easy to meet God and hear Him.  



No comments: