Saturday, December 8, 2012

Twins... Sisters?


Sometimes something can be really great for someone and that very same thing not so great for someone else.

Well, it's like this.
I was 28, almost 29 when I gave birth to the most precious daughter God could have given me.
At this point in time I was ginormous next to her sweet smallness and I revelled in being her momma and everything wonderful that comes with that calling.  I had no problem with people recognizing me to be the older one in the equation.
It was right and good.

The years passed and she grew in wisdom and stature and I continued to remain the familiar matriarchal figure.  (hopefully not growing in stature, but very desirous and prayerful about growing in wisdom as this is a quality much desired as ones children strain towards those tumultuous teenage years)
We survived these years and the beautiful daughter reached her 20th year.

I recall the very store we were shopping in when I was first asked if she was my sister.
My SISTER!!
I was ecstatic!!
I took the whole thing in stride though, realizing that the one who asked this question was quite a distance away from us and was probably unable to see my aging complexion and grey roots.
It was still a major boost for me though, as I have often been confused as the older one when it comes to my sister and I when she is in fact 5 years older than I am.
I did not take this as a compliment.
My sister (who is not only very pretty, but also very youthful looking) would try to console me by telling me that this was because I had led a very hard life.

Since that first innocent query from a stranger my daughter and I have been asked more times than I can remember if we are sisters.
In fact, many times the sincere question is "twins, right?"
These people all immediately become my new best friend.

I cannot help but feel extremely sorry for my daughter, as she is lovely and young. Perhaps because I am permanently sitting it adds a youthful flair to my appearance?
Actually there is no good explanation because I really do not look young, but the long hair, face shape and similar mouth seems to trigger people to ask that question that is now really beginning to annoy my girl.
She is so over it.
But it just keeps happening.

Can't say I blame her but it has been an immense boost to my self esteem.
Immense.
This probably won't be happening for too much longer so I'm just going to enjoy the novelty and feel as young as possible now that I'm fifty.
Smile.


No comments: