Wednesday, October 24, 2012

outrageous beauty



I have been smitten with the beauty surrounding me in this glorious season!
On my drive home from school I take my time crossing Mission Creek - even stopping on the bridge sometimes if there are no cars coming and drinking in the beauty of the huge yellow trees overshadowing the water and rocks that wind through the little valley.


I slowly make my way up the hill and through the orchards admiring the ever changing palette of stunning fall colours.  The grass is still green, there are golden, red and orange bursts of colour in between the orchards (most of which aren't terribly exciting in the fall, unfortunately).  The vineyards are yellowing and the long rows of vines, most stripped of their grapes, stretch off into the cool distance.


And now there is snow.
As I lift my eyes from the stunning colours around me I see the beautiful mountains topped in cool white.
Two seasons moving across the landscape, the one making room for the next.
Fall is giving it's grand finale, first kissing the trees with frost induced fiery colours and then stripping them slowly of their lovely leaves.
Winter is hovering over the valley giving a gentle warning of it's imminent arrival...

Days are shorter, the air crisp and fresh.
We are tucking in, happy to make tea to warm our hands after arriving home.
Adjusting to the long dark evenings and the early nights.

I"m so happy to have these three lovely young women sharing this cozy home with me for this season.  Such good company.
Sometimes I lay in my room listening to them laughing in the kitchen as they create scrumptious snacks and talk about their day.

I'm trying to find a balance between spending so much time laying down in my cozy nest and getting out to visit my mom and auntie.  It's far too easy just to stay home rather than to heave this body out to brave the cold and cheer their day.

And I LOVE MY JOB!  Working with the sweetest kids, teaching them to read with a schedule that fits me quite perfectly.

I can't say I'm looking forward to winter, but the trick is to live in this moment, in this day, enjoying all the beauty and goodness and not worrying about what is coming next.

There will be multitudes of beautiful moments full of so much goodness in the winter as well!




No comments: