Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Season of Advent


Waiting.
I feel like I spend most of my life waiting for something to happen.
Although, the older I get the waiting is becoming more refined, somehow.
Not so much waiting for monumental life changing events to occur, like graduation from school, or college, or getting married, or having children.
That pulled me along for many years and still does to some extent.
When the accident slammed into my life my waiting turned to a longing for heaven.
Which is probably completely natural considering how difficult and uncomfortable life became in an instant.
And as much as that longing never leaves, it has been tempered with maturity and a lessening in severity of some of the suffering.
I prefer not to live my life waiting for something more exciting to happen.
I want to know contentment. And gratefulness for small everyday things.
And I believe the LORD has been gently helping me in this.

But the Advent Season is a season of waiting as well.
A different kind of waiting, but with the ultimate working out being the heavenly kingdom which is that longing for heaven again.
So... to help myself focus on the waiting and on the CHRIST I spend last Saturday morning at a beautiful Advent Retreat.


Filled with beautiful readings and meditation and song and reflection and listening.
So very very beautiful and gentle.
And my kind Father showed me pictures and spoke through His word.

Isaiah 43
You are Mine.
I have called you by Name
I will be with you..

And I don't even have to wait for that. It is happening.
Every single day.

And the family gathered here on Sunday evening to celebrate the first Advent.
Darkness and cold without, but warmth and love within.
Tradition.
Stockings.
The first candle lit.
A delicious meal.
My heart is full as I head into this Season.

No comments: