Sunday, June 12, 2011

I love the Sunshine


I am so happy that the days have been warmer.
The sun is shining and is so much closer to our corner of the world.
It is bringing life to my flowers - bravely they are opening their little petals after being somewhat traumatized by the cold rainy windy spring.

And I'm terribly excited about my teensy weensy little sunflower sprouts.
They are my babies and I go from place to place checking on them.
I don't think even ten percent of them have come up but the ones that have are bringing me immense happiness. Little green arms growing wider and taller and reaching for the sun.
Such a nice name they have too, SUNFLOWERS... no wonder I am so fond of them.
Last summer I planted some and the word Mammoth was on the package.
And rightly so - they grew to gargantuan heights, their stalks as big as tree trunks!
Their heads were ginormous and then a big wind came and they toppled over.
Just like that - after all that furious growing, higher higher, past the edge of the roof

and BOOM, it was all over. They were laying on the cement like felled trees.

Anyways, this year I carefully read the packages and made sure to buy ones other than the mammoth variety.

My pansies have also been incredibly cheerful and sweet with their purple and yellow little faces smiling up at me and the sun.
Of course I have faithful, colorful steadfast geraniums to supply that burst of bright red and the most delightful hues of blue lobelia. Flowering baskets full of color and variety are warmed by the sun and are putting on a most delightful show.

Oh wonderful warm blessed sun. Even my normally red chapped wrinkly hands are looking so much happier now that they are warm and turning brown from my outdoor ventures.
And my face has lost that sickly winter whiteness and is happier with it's summer color.
Looking forward to the months ahead - kissed with summer sunshine.

No comments: