Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cosmopolitan

I'm feeling all cosmopolitan.
Sitting here in a coffee establishment on the corner of Bute and Robson with my dark chocolate mocha topped with whipped cream.

This venture into the metropolis of Vancouver came about rather suddenly, as is often God's way. I called about appointments for the dear daughter yesterday morning and by the afternoon we were zooming over the mountains, through intense clouds and rain and finally into the beautiful green green green fraser valley.

Our attempt to check into the hotel I had booked earlier proved to be rather arduous as their interpretation of "accessible" once again was unlike mine. No bars by the toilet and a squishy room. However, there was virtually NOTHING ELSE AVAILABLE due to the frenzy of the hockey playoffs here the following night. They said it was worse than the olympics. And we, who are so "not in touch" with the world of hockey obsession were completely oblivious that we were entering the city along with crowds of Canucks fans.

So, upon the dear daughter's recommendation we gave the room a try and lo and behold, I managed to make it work. She was completely exhausted and fed up with the whole "handicap" fiasco as she has put up with it for so many years already. I'm sure God will reward her for her patience with this extra trial placed upon her already burdened soul.

God in His great kindness gave us both a good night, amazingly enough, as my nights have been crazy due to increasing spasticity, day and night.

So, with that kind woman in our GPS directing us, we made it to the city center and have both been enjoying the benefits of biofeedback to balance our brains. We had a six hour break in between appointments which gave us a lovely opportunity to explore Stanley Park and to take in the magnificent baluga whales and other sea mammals. Oh my word - those balugas are just the loveliest soft slippery looking blubbery beauties! Seriously, I can sit there for so long watching them glide by with their gelatinous forms quivering.

There was rain forecast but we have even enjoyed bits of sunshine and the drive through Stanley Park was gloriously green and gorgeous. Huge trees, thick undergrowth, beaches, ocean, bikers, walkers, marinas and wildlife - a racoon! On and on the sights were simply soothing and sumptuous. Haha - I'm on a roll here. And now as I sit in this coffee shop sipping my chocolately drink I am watching a constant flow of beautiful people of all varieties, many of them with dogs on leashes pass by the large windows. The dogs are just delightful.
City dogs. Smile. I wonder how my country dogs are doing back home.
How nice that I have housemates looking after them.

Meanwhile trusting God to do what we are unable to do.
Great glorious God who cares about us.
Kind shepherd, leading us beside quiet waters.
Mighty warrior protecting us as we navigate the crazy streets in this metropolis!
Trusting. Trusting.
Looking forward.

No comments: