Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Glory Lingers


I've thought about telling some stories here of the last two weeks with friends.
Just the word makes me happy...

fRiEnDs

Family friends. Which is even better as it's multiplied in so many wonderful directions. We all bring out different rich parts of each other and ourselves!
Friends from a precious, rich, defining time in our lives.
When the kids were small and we went out on a venture together.
It started with notes being sent in the lunch boxes of our very little boys.
And from there we ended up around our kitchen table praying, asking God about going to Hawaii to do a discipleship training school.
Landing us in Kailua Kona for several wonderful months of teaching and community built around our common belief in Jesus - the power of knowing Him and learning how to make Him known. Followed by adventures in other countries, the Philippines and Thailand where we put into practice what we had learned.
At least that was the idea.
I thought it was a very grand adventure.
Very grand indeed!!
I trust that we were a blessing wherever we went, because we were sure blessed to be able to go and meet all those amazing people in all those amazing places!!
Especially me - being able to do this in a wheelchair was it's own sort of miracle.

And there have been many adventures since that time. Sometimes just two of us meet, sometimes more and this last time we were all together again.
Super Sweet.
This time the boys each had a girl clinging to their arms and their are some wedding bells coming up for the other family. My boy is still silent on that front, but things are looking pretty positive.



Anyhow, the togetherness was awesome. A picnic at the beach, everyone at the boardwalk and meandering through the bird sanctuary. Leisurely breakfasts and visits on my bed in the evening to catch up with our days. And of course patio church and other times of spontaneous prayer.

And a bonus "one on one trip" with my dear adventurous friend.
Just the two of us to bring the holiday to a most fitting and suddenly surprising close.

At the last minute another friend could not join me at a "Gathering" of believers held several hours from here. She was booked to go with me and ended up in the hospital waiting for surgery instead. Poor dear. Such a huge disappointment for both of us, but I decided to brave the journey and go anyways.
These gatherings are a highlight in my life.
They give me amazing perspective and fill my cup full to overflowing.

And suddenly there was my adventurous laughing friend wanting to come along.
God with skin on once again.
Did I ever need her too!! To help me with my wheelchair which wouldn't properly attach to my lift without extra hands to lift it. To help me open the hotel door which was at the top of a steep ramp. To keep me from falling when I was trying to adjust to some crazy misplaced handrails in my bathroom. To help me to move beds so I was able to get into mine at night.

Seriously, God was showing up big time through this dear friend and we had the time of our lives at the gathering.
Both of us in our absolute glory.
Worshiping with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength.
Loving what God is doing in the Middle East and in our hearts towards other nations.
Seeing the miracle of what repentance can accomplish not only between brothers, but between nations.




It was over the top
Wonderful
Amazing
Mind Boggling
HOT HOT HOT (a non air conditioned gym)
Inspiring & Challenging (I went forward and prayed one of those radical prayers that actually scare me, but I want more of Jesus so it'll be worth it...yup it will!) Gotta be willing to die for the gospel as this fellow is who challenged us:


Anyways, that's a long story that could be even longer but I must go to sleep.
Just had to share some of the glory that still lingers in my heart.
So thankful to God who looks after me and allows me to be witness to and somehow a part of these events that I know will change HiStory.

No comments: