Thursday, October 29, 2009

Darker Evenings

There's something very cozy about dark evenings in autumn.
Once I adjust to the fact that the daylight hours are diminishing, that is.
At first I complain bitterly about the encroaching darkness, then I grudgingly hunker down for the long evenings.
Missing the light and bright outdoors.

But slowly I'm warming to the idea of a winter with my two kids at home.
It may be our last season like this - just the three of us sharing evening meals and taking life at a slower pace.
Moving about so peacefully, sharing little tidbits of each other's lives...
Music, stories, movies, food, silence.
The beautiful daughter at the computer, discovering tunes and other worlds,
Trying to figure out what to do with her future...
The son, organizing papers, playing guitar or disappearing into his room for long visits on the phone.
There is a budding romance in the works.
And I, usually reclining on my bed reading, doing homework or viewing the world on my laptop.
The dogs keeping vigil and company.
Two furry friends dropped out of heaven to brighten these long dark evenings.

As my world will likely change soon, I'm tempted to give in to sadness.
I can feel the plates moving beneath me and I must fight off the demons of fear.

He will go with me into my new beginnings. He tells me not to worry about tomorrow.
Because each day has enough trouble of it's own. Why borrow from the future?
So for now I will enjoy the richness of this season.
Before the landscape changes I will try to be fully present.
Present to discover and enjoy Him and those He has given me to love.
As He is fully present.
Right here, right now.

So I ask for grace to enjoy this long dark season.
To be aware of His light and warmth and to bask in it.
For as surely as winter follows fall,
spring will come again.

No comments: