Friday, August 24, 2007

My Precious Jewel

My sweet doggie returned to the dust yesterday. Many tears have been shed over the past few weeks as I have watched her slowly grow weaker...but we were still sharing sweet times and she was able to enjoy wandering through the orchard and visiting with us as we sat out on the patio drinking in the summer beauty. How she loved the parties on the patio when she might enjoy table scraps and just spend time with those she loved. She just assumed that everyone loved her...what a nice way to be. Digging herself a nice cool hole at the side of the house (or in my flower beds!!) to pass the hot afternoon hours or laying under the oak tree munching on a bone. The precious welcome as she recognized me and ran to meet me when I drove up the driveway, joining me in the garage and waiting for her neckrub as I got out of the car. Oh how she would leap and dance for joy when she knew I was driving out into the back field with her to give her a run around the orchard...and then the race back to the house along the side of the road. She got pretty good at taking shortcuts =), but she was fast!

The memories flicker through my mind, and I am brought to tears again...what a sweet gift she was for us. Such a gentle, kind, big beasty. Those lovely hazel eyes with the bushy brows hanging down over them. The beard, so comical & unladylike...often dripping with water from her latest visit to the watering hole - giving her the nickname "drool". Sweet, sweet doggie, such a gift from God for this season of our lives. I am so grateful to God for her and for the comfort and joy and laughter she brought to us.

God in His great kindness gave us these sweet animals to treasure. They speak to me of His character. The simple, pure devotion in Jewel was another reflection of the character of God in my life. Her name, which she arrived at our home with, suited her perfectly. A precious gem, a jewel, she surely was. My heart aches, but I know I will heal. Just an animal...but one that I will never forget and feel privileged to have spent these years with. She was like a little piece of heaven here on earth and I surely hope the Lord has a nice place for her to enjoy wherever she is now. I can still hope that I'll see her in heaven, I don't care where the whole theology thing fits in. It comforts me to know that a God who is kind and creates such beautiful animals for us to enjoy will look after them as well. Wouldn't it be just so fun to have her be a part of the crowd that greets me when I get to my heavenly home?!

Thank you Jesus for the gift of Jewel. Thank you for your kindness to us through her. Thank you Jesus for the precious and beautiful creation which you gave us so generously to enjoy. A heart that thought up & created Jewel is a most beautiful & precious heart indeed. I love you so much, my precious Jesus...

1 comment:

Island Melody said...

Hello, dear friend! I am so sorry you lost your precious Jewel. You wrote such a touching tribute for your pet. It is interesting how we get so attached to our animal friends. They are exceptionally devoted to love us well and demonstrate loyalty so faithfully. Thanks for sharing your precious memories which sparkle like "jewels" in your blog. Love and hugs, my friend. Hope we can meet again soon for a visit. I haven't been blogging. Made several attempts, but couldn't find the words.