Sunday, March 22, 2020

Seclusion and Peace


We have slowly been immersed into a life of seclusion over the past week.
Mom went to her last "senior's club" this past Monday and outings are now pretty much relegated to picking up groceries while keeping one's distance from everyone else.


Or, with some ingenuity we can manage to meet up without coming too close....
Some of our tribe took part in a 3 day, world-wide "Esther Fast" to repent and seek God for an end to this virus that is wreaking destruction around the world.


Zoe called me and asked if we could somehow meet so I suggested we sit far apart on the back patio while we participated in worship, prayer and communion.  So, on 20/2020 two others joined us via phone and we had our virtual prayer meeting.  We were praying prayers and making decrees along with tens of thousands of others on this very day.  


So grateful for the internet keeping us all connected in ways that were unheard of in previous generations.
I have been able to be a part of several "on-line" gatherings, one of them including thousands of believers all partaking in prayer and communion all across the world at exactly the same time.
Heaven is abuzz with activity and we will one day know what these acts of unity and love accomplished. 

********************

I also was able to spend an hour or so on FaceTime with my dear Patrice who was celebrating her 29th birthday on the 20th.   Kind of disappointing that none of us could be with her on her special day, but thankfully she is surrounded by a beautiful community and had a chance to go to the ocean with two of her A Rocha colleagues where they enjoyed fish and chips while keeping an appropriate distance from one another.  


And yesterday Daniel & Penny met with her for another ocean walk...while practicing "social distancing" as Daniel informed me.  He is very aware of the need for caution as he is working in a medical setting and is in greater danger of being infected or passing the virus along unknowingly. 


So fun that they included me in this way.  
My sweet, precious kids.
Poor dear Nicole wasn't able to join in due to a migraine.  

********************

On the external level, things have ground to a halt and the world is still.

We have been granted a "Selah" to pause and reflect.
To cease from activity and to get off the proverbial "hamster wheel".

I pray that this will be a time of deep inner searching and cleansing.

A reset.


I have been confronted with my own addictive behaviours as I have been participating in a "modified" 40 day fast during this season of lent.  
Realizing how quickly and easily I run to familiar comforts to quiet myself when I feel restless or out of sorts.  
I want to be renewed in this season of self denial - as small as the denials really are, they are working something in me.  
I want Jesus to be the centre of it all.  He alone is the one who brings true satisfaction and fulfillment.
I was created for Him, to bring Him glory and joy.
We are, I am, oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord for the display of His Splendour.
Whenever we forget that and start to live for our own glory and pleasure everything starts to unravel.
Selfishness is a great enemy.
Jesus is the antidote.

So I embrace the stillness.
It's not really so far from my normal life, but I know everything is different.
I sit in stillness with the rest of the world and ponder.  
I move away from fear and embrace peace.
Let Him be my constant companion.

Jehova Shalom.

No comments: